Thursday 26 September 2013

London Index Project II


Here are some recent pictures from my London Index project.

















Taking these pictures has certainly made me think about the morality of what I'm doing. The last picture is of the aftermath of an accident where a pedestrian has been knocked down. At first glance, it looks like nothing is happening. When you then notice the police tape and look closer still at the smashed windscreen of the car it becomes clear something shocking has taken place.

I'd taken the picture before realising exactly what had happened. Now I'm not sure how I feel about including it. Someone was injured to an unknown extent. The driver of the car is out of sight and living the first few terrible minutes of one of the most significant events of their lives. It's easy to imagine the tragedy unfolding. 

It makes me think of the times I have retreated from taking pictures I know I wouldn't be comfortable showing to a wider audience. My most vivid memory is that of a young man sat on the steps to a building just south of Kensington High Street. He had blood streaming from his nose. As I passed him, we looked at each other and I instantly knew I couldn't possibly put my camera between us and take his picture. He was too vulnerable and I too shy.

I've missed a sobbing girl running toward her boyfriend, arguments, fights, incapable drunks, virtually all the rawest moments you can imagine. I've ruminated over them all wondering whether I should or shouldn't have pushed the shutter. The thing I can't resolve is whether these moments are, despite their location, public or private.

I want to make a balanced document of this city and I have to Include the good and the bad, the beautiful and the ugly. However, I can't do this without feeling a sense of respect for whoever I'm pointing the camera at. I'm in perpetual awe at the fact that Londoners continue to rub along together despite their differences. I think it's only achieved by the vast majority of people living here being fundamentally good human beings. Editing their lives by capturing them in a fraction of a second sometimes doesn't seem fair.



No comments:

Post a Comment