Monday 3 June 2013

Hipstamatic Portraits

I've been messing around with some ideas for portraiture on Instagram. I've been taking using the Tinto 1884 lens and D-Type Plate film on Hipstamatic, sticking the results through Snapseed and publishing on Instagram in sets of three so it looks nice in the grid view. I also published these on the brilliant App Backspaces - find it here - and the pictures have since been featured on the AMPt Community website.






The Backspaces App is way of publishing stories via your iPhone. I've been waiting for this and didn't realise. I like to shoot in a collecting sort of way. I'll often take pictures which I intend to put together as a set and it takes time to get enough. If I've got pictures I want to publish in between, I either have to wait or break up the set.

Backspaces allows you to do what you can't on Instagram; put your pictures in order before you publish. You also have the option of adding titles, text and captions.






The community on Backspaces also seems lively and feedback is not limited to comments like 'Awesome!' and 'Cool shot!' which, admittedly, is kind of nice but not very useful. I've found it a place where you can be honestly critical on peoples work without being considered a hater.





The subjects above are Neil Atkinson, a dude I met outside The Queen of Hoxton and Chris Perkins, lead singer of Sheffield band Section 60.

I've no plans for these pictures as yet. I want to find a way of standardising them so Im getting the best results out of each subject. I am liking the russian doll triptych effect though. I think it might have some mileage.

Find more on Instagram and Backspaces. My user name is @i_am_pauljames on both.

No comments:

Post a Comment